You’re holding a movie night at your place on your Sony Smart TV. Everything is in order, but when you try to switch on your television, your Sony remote control fails you.
Sony is a well-known TV maker that provides user-friendly remotes with voice-control capabilities. These remotes do occasionally malfunction, though. In such a case, what can you do if your Sony TV remote is broken?
There are several factors to blame. One of them, for instance, can be a lack of internet connectivity. It’s also possible that the batteries in your remote have run out of juice. Similarly to that, there could be additional causes for this.
However, it is rather simple to fix. Make sure your internet connection is strong before starting. Then, see whether changing the batteries makes the Sony remote functional.
If not, you can check out the fixes we’ve provided to help you and save your movie night.
|Sony TV Remote Not Working||Before you do anything check if the device is connected to the internet and if the remote has working batteries in it.|
|Check the Sony Remote’s Buttons||Check if the buttons are working and are not jammed in any way.|
|Check if the TV Is the Problem||Make sure the TV is working properly and it isn’t the issue.|
|Power Reset the TV||Power resetting the TVs won’t change the personalized settings and u can use it normally afterward.|
|Clear Line of Sight||Clear out all the objects that u think might interfere with the infrared signals of the remote.|
|Keep the Sony Smart TV Software Updated||Updating the software on your tv will constantly be adding new features and fix bugs,|
|Reset the Remote||If removing the remote’s batteries had no effect resetting it might do the job.|
|Factory Reset the TV||If none of the above solutions work for you a factory reset would be your last option.|
Sony TV Remote Not Working
Before delving into more specific issues, there is a more general way to repair Sony TV remotes that are not working.
After all, one of the last things users want when troubleshooting a broken remote is a complicated procedure to get their remote working once again.
So, if you’re having trouble with your Sony TV remote not functioning, read on to learn what the most common problem is and how to fix it.
The remote control won’t operate without an internet connection to the TV. Once you’ve taken care of that, see whether your remote control’s batteries aren’t already dead.
By inserting the remote’s batteries into another device, you can determine whether they are drained or not.
Depleted batteries should be swapped out for new, high-quality ones, and the positive and negative ends should be inserted according to the remote’s guidelines.
However, you can attempt the following methods if you’re still having trouble fixing the Sony remote control.
Check the Sony Remote’s Buttons
- Your Sony remote control may require a firm push of some buttons. Similarly, if the buttons are jammed, you can loosen them by repeatedly pressing them.
- You can also examine your remote control’s infrared signals if you still feel like something is off.
- Use your smartphone’s camera or a camera device.
- Place the remote in front of the camera, then turn it on. The infrared light emitter on the remote control has to be directed at the camera.
- Press any of the remote’s buttons.
- Observe the display of the camera.
If you see a light on the screen, it means that the remote control is transferring infrared light to the TV.
Also, try pressing the buttons you believe to be inoperative. This will enable you to identify any button-related issues.
Check if the TV Is the Problem
It’s not always the remote that’s the issue. The TV may occasionally have some issues decoding the signals from the remote. So, check to see whether the TV turns on once you push the power button.
If the TV buttons don’t function, make sure the standby light is turned on. Make sure the TV is plugged into a power source if you can’t see the standby light.
Power Reset the TV
The TV’s personalized settings won’t be changed by a power reset. The following steps can help you power reset your TV.
- Unplug the TV’s power cord from the outlet.
- Now, turn on the television by pressing the power button. After that, wait for around two minutes.
- Reconnect the TV’s power cord to the power supply.
- Use the Sony remote to check if the issue has been resolved once the TV has been powered down.
Clear Line of Sight
For your TV to be able to receive infrared signals from the remote, there must be a clear path. Items near your TV might obscure the infrared signals sent by your remote.
Therefore, keep other items away from your TV and its rack. You could also shorten the distance between your television and the remote control. Additionally, keep other wireless infrared devices away from the TV if there are any.
Keep the Sony Smart TV Software Updated
We urge you to often update the software on your Sony smart TV. This regularly adds new features and will immediately repair any problems. As a result, there will be a lower likelihood that your remote control will experience similar issues.
The Sony smart TV software can be updated by following the steps below.
- Access Settings.
- Then, select Customer Support, Setup, or Product Support, whichever option is available.
- Select Software Update next.
- Choose a Network. (This choice might or might not be an option.)
- For the newest update to be installed, choose OK or Yes.
Reset the Remote
Resetting the remote control may be necessary if removing the old batteries from it had no effect. The remote control’s factory default settings will be restored through this method.
- Remove the Sony remote control’s batteries.
- Hold down the power button on the remote for about three seconds to reset it.
- After a minute, put the batteries back in the remote control.
- The remote has now been reset
- Use the remote once you’ve finished this to check if it functions.
Factory Reset the TV
You can reset your TV to factory settings if none of the above options work. This option should be saved for last since it will erase all of your settings.
By following these instructions, you can perform the TV’s factory reset.
- Hit the Home key.
- Go to Settings next.
- Choosing Device Preferences. Press Reset.
- Select Factory data reset after that.
- Click on Erase everything. Tap Yes.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you connect a sound bar to a Sony Bravia TV?
You can connect a Sony soundbar to your TV in several ways. The most popular technique is using an optical cable, which is included with the majority of Sony soundbars. As an alternative, you can utilize an HDMI cable or even a Bluetooth wireless connection.
Why does my Sony TV turn on and off by itself?
If your television turns on and off at regular intervals, such as every 30 to 60 minutes, it is likely to use power-saving features such as idle TV standby, on-timers, and sleep timers. If the TV turns on or off anytime an HDMI-connected device is switched on or off, check the Bravia Sync settings.
Why does my TV keep turning off after a few seconds?
An old power supply cord or a faulty connection might cause your TV to turn off suddenly. If you see frayed wires or damage to your TV’s power line, it’s time to shop for a new TV to avoid future issues and potential electrical risks.
Why won’t my Sony TV remote change channels?
If your remote is not helping you change your tv channels, this shows that your remote is set to the wrong mode. To reset your remote to the correct mode press the TV FUNCTION button on your remote and set your mode.
Why is my TV not responding to my remote?
If you notice that your remote is not working properly make sure that your remote is clean and not dirty. Remove the batteries and clean them with a soft clean cloth. After you are done cleaning place the batteries back in the remote. This will solve your issue
- While Sony remote controls are favored for their functionality and performance, they occasionally fail to operate properly.
- Numerous factors, like dead batteries, a distorted line of sight, and jammed remote buttons, might contribute to this.
- This problem also occurs if the Sony Smart TV software has not been updated recently.
- The solutions listed in this article instruct you to update the TV’s firmware, change batteries, factory reset the remote, check and power reset the TV, and more.
- Consider purchasing a new remote control if the above-mentioned methods weren’t able to fix it.
- Do AirPods Work on Planes? (Find Out)
- Do You Need a Fire Stick With a Smart TV?(Answered)
- Can Samsung TV Use Zoom? (Workarounds Included)
Don’t hate – Automate
Check whether you need a fresh pair of batteries. Perform a Power reset: Un-plug the TV power cord for 60 secs (or 2 minutes for Android TVs) and plug back in. Alternatively, for Android TVs perform a reset by holding down the power button on the remote control for 5 seconds. Perform a TV software update.Why is my Sony TV not responding to the remote? ›
Check whether you need a fresh pair of batteries. Perform a Power reset: Un-plug the TV power cord for 60 secs (or 2 minutes for Android TVs) and plug back in. Alternatively, for Android TVs perform a reset by holding down the power button on the remote control for 5 seconds. Perform a TV software update.Why won't my TV recognize my remote? ›
However, the most common reasons for a TV remote that is not working are battery issues, paring issues, or infrared sensor issues. Press the power button while pointing the remote control at your TV. Make sure the LED indicator on the TV blinks. If not, your remote does not have enough power remaining in the batteries.Can a remote control go bad? ›
No matter how good your remote is, it will get dirty and wear out from frequent use. Even if some of the keys have stopped working or have to be pushed really hard, they can be fixed even if new batteries don't help.How do I pair my old Sony TV remote? ›
Press the HOME button and select the following in order. [Settings] — [Remotes & Accessories] — [Remote control] — [Connect via Bluetooth] — [Connect a new remote] — follow the on-screen instructions to reconnect the remote control.What are the remote codes for a Sony TV? ›
Simultaneously, press and hold down the Power and Volume Down (-) buttons on the TV (not on the remote), and while holding the buttons, plug the power cord back in. Hold the buttons until a green LED light appears near the Sony logo on the TV front. The LED light will take approximately 10-30 seconds to turn green.