RobotPoweredHome is reader-supported. When you buy through links on my blog, I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve been using the Verizon FiOS TV One for a while now, and I’m delighted with my entertainment plan.
The clean, compact little box has met my entertainment needs with Netflix and YouTube in addition to all the channels on my plan.
Even when my family, who are long-time Xfinity X1 users, come to visit, they manage to use it intuitively, despite not being very tech-savvy.
But when setting it up, the Verizon FiOS Remote wasn’t actually controlling my TV volume.
My TV had been set to a really high volume and so naturally, I had to fix this.
It wasn’t a relatively simple problem to solve, like the time my FiOS Wi-Fi Unit’s battery wouldn’t stop beeping, but going through all the resources available took a lot of time and effort.
As the instructions weren’t specific to my situation, I decided to write my own article to help others finding themselves in my position.
On FiOS TV’s Voice Remote, press the “0” and “Play/Pause” buttons (“0” and “OK” on the P265 and P283 remotes), then enter your TV manufacturer’s three-digit code.
I’ve also talked about controlling your TV using the Set-Top Box itself, as well as resetting the remote control to the original settings in case you face issues.
Programming the Fios TV Voice Remote to control the Fios TV One
The FiOS TV Voice Remote has made my TV watching experience a lot more convenient.
Since it connects to the TV via Bluetooth instead of IR like most other remotes, there is no need to point the TV remotely awkwardly, which lets me do things like mute or turn off the TV when I’m leaving the room.
It offers a variety of voice commands, but most importantly, the sensitive microphone embedded inside the remote has been a godsend for me because it manages to capture commands that I give it, even while having food at the same time. Talk about convenience.
This device is designed especially for Verizon’s Fios TV One.
The remote can be programmed to control the FiOS TV One by these easy steps:
- Hold both the “0” and the “Play/Pause” buttons simultaneously, while pointing the remote at the TV.
- Let go of both the buttons when a blue light starts shining on the remote.
- When the light stops shining, your Fios TV Voice Remote is connected and will be ready for use.
After you’ve done this, your TV should be detected and controlled automatically by your remote.
For this, go to Menu > Settings > Voice control > Fios TV Voice Remote > Program Voice Remote > Automatic Setup.
As you finish doing this, you’ll receive a notification saying “Success!” in the top right area of the TV screen.
If this doesn’t work, you would need to select the Manual Setup option instead of the Automatic Setup one.
Then, select your TV brand and follow the steps shown. As you finish doing this, you’ll receive a notification saying “Success!” on the top-right corner of your TV screen.
Programming the Verizon P265 to control your TV
Even if you’ve got an older remote and are experiencing this problem, the process to program the remote to control your TV volume is very similar.
All you have to do is initiate the pairing process, and enter the right FiOS Remote Code. Here’s the process in more detail:
- Find the remote code for your TV in the list of Remote control codes for Verizon P265, available in the remote user manual, the link of which is provided below.
- Switch on your TV and the FiOS STB.
- You’ll have to press the “OK” and “0” buttons simultaneously. The red LED light blinks two times and will then stay illuminated.
- Type in your TV-specific code that you found out from the user manual. Once you do this, the red light on the remote will blink two times and then stay illuminated.
- Keep on pressing the “Ch+” button until the TV turns off.
- Verify that your remote is working correctly. To do this, try turning on the TV, increasing and decreasing the volume and pressing the Mute and A/V buttons.
- If the keys above don’t work, keep holding the specific key. Release it as soon as it works.
- If all the keys work correctly, press “OK” to proceed. The red light blinks thrice and then switches off. Your remote has now been successfully programmed.
Listed below are the Verizon 265 Remote Control Codes for some Major TV Brands:
- LG – 210
- Philips – 285
- Samsung – 331
- Toshiba – 397
- Sony – 352
For the full list of codes, please refer to the User Manual of the Verizon P265 Remote.
Programming the Verizon P283 to control your TV
Like the Verizon P265 remote, it is also easy to program the Verizon P283 remote to control your TV. This is how you can do so:
- Switch your TV and the FiOS Set-Top Box on.
- Find the code for your TV brand in the User Manual, for which the link is provided below.
- Type in your TV-specific code that you found out from the user manual. Now, press both the “OK” and “!” keys together. The red light on the remote control will blink twice and then stay on.
- Enter the TV code for your TV that you just found out by following the previous steps. The red light on the remote will blink twice and stay illuminated.
- Keep on pressing the “Ch+” button until the TV turns off.
- Verify that your remote is working correctly. To do this, try turning on the TV, increasing and decreasing the volume and pressing the Mute and A/V buttons. Release it as soon as it works.
- Suppose the keys above don’t work; press and hold the specific key. Release it as soon as it starts working. If all the keys work correctly, press “OK” to proceed. The red light blinks thrice and then switches off. Your remote has now been successfully programmed.
Here are the Verizon 283 Remote Control Codes for some Major TV Brands:
- Sony – 352
- Philips – 285
- Samsung – 331
- JVC – 193
- Haier – 146
For the full list of codes, please refer to the User Manual of the Verizon P283 Remote.
Control the TV volume through the Fios Set-Top Box
You can control the volume of your TV via your Set-Top Box (STB) quite easily with your Verizon remote by following the process below:
- Press both the “OK” and “2” buttons simultaneously. Let go of the buttons. The red light on the remote will blink two times and stay illuminated.
- Press the buttons 9-5-5 (in this order). This makes the red light blink twice and stay illuminated again.
- Press the “STB-Power” key on your remote. This will make the red light blink thrice, following which the device will switch off.
The Set-Top Box will now be able to adjust the volume of your TV. This will be a convenient option for you if your television adjusts volume with odd calibration, leading to not much control over the audio’s loudness.
The steps are the same for all the Verizon remotes that we have seen in this article.
Reset the Remote Control to the Original Settings
If the remote isn’t responding too well, or you’re facing additional problems like the remote not changing channels, it would be a good idea to Reset your FiOS Remote back to the default settings.
These are the steps you’ll have to follow:
- Press both the “OK” and “FiOS TV” buttons together. Let go of both the buttons, following which the red light on the remote will blink twice and stay illuminated.
- Press and let go of the “Play/Pause” button once every second.
- Keep doing this till the remote finds the right code, following which your TV will automatically switch off. After this, stop pressing the button.
Your remote control has now reverted to the original settings. You can follow the same steps regardless of which remote model you have.
Final Thoughts on Programming Verizon FiOS to TV Volume
Now you’ll be able to diagnose what’s wrong with your Verizon FiOS remote and deal with the problem in a step-by-step manner.
While the troubleshooting tips are simple, sometimes nothing can be done to save the remote.
I recommend Verizon Protect Home, their 24/7 customer support service and the successor to their Tech Support Pro, which takes care of repairs and replacements.
However, if you’re looking to switch services, you can easily return your FiOS equipment.
Speaking of premium features, If you have the FiOS Voice Remote, I wholeheartedly recommend taking full advantage of the voice commands feature for a more hands-free, convenient TV watching experience.
You May Also Enjoy Reading:
- Fios On Demand Not Working: How To Fix In Seconds
- FiOS TV No Sound: How To Troubleshoot 
- FIOS Guide Not Working: How To Troubleshoot In Seconds
- Verizon Fios Router Blinking Blue: How To Troubleshoot
- Does Google Nest Wi-Fi Work With Verizon FIOS? How To Setup
Frequently Asked Questions
What is FiOS TV One?
The Verizon FiOS TV One is a smart TV system made keeping in mind user convenience, with various features including a FiOS TV voice remote and Netflix integration.
Can I use a universal remote for Verizon FIOS?
Any universal remote will work adequately for the Verizon FiOS, but you’ll need proper line-of-sight for it from the remote to the Verizon FiOS set-top box to function correctly.
Here are five decent remote replacements for the Verizon FiOS:
- Logitech Harmony Elite
- Sevenhugs Smart Remote
- Logitech Harmony Express
- Caavo Control Center
- Harmony Hub
What is the STB button on FiOS remote?
The STB button on the remote refers to the Set-Top Box or the FiOS box on some of the remotes’ newer variants.
How do I program my FIOS remote without a code?
- Turn on your TV and the STB. You’ll have to press and hold the OK and FiOS TV buttons simultaneously, and after a few seconds, stop holding them down. The red light on the remote will blink two times and stay illuminated.
- You’ll have to keep holding the Play button. Stop holding down the play button when the TV switches off.
- Verify that your remote is working properly. To do this, try turning on the TV, increasing and decreasing the volume and pressing the Mute and A/V buttons. Release it as soon as it works.
If the keys work fine, press OK and accept the code. The red light will blink thrice and turn off. Your remote has now been successfully programmed.
To find it, press Menu, scroll down to Customer Support, then select Help Topics, then Remote, then Setting Up your Remote. Choose the option that best describes your FiOS remote, then select Volume Control. You will see step-by-step instructions on how to set your remote to control your receiver's volume.Can I use my Fios remote to control my TV? ›
When you receive your Verizon P265 Fios remote control and set-top box, they should already be programmed. Once you connect your Set-Top Box and TV, use your Fios remote to program the remote to your TV.Can I use my Fios remote as a universal remote? ›
In addition to your STB and TV, your remote can also control two additional devices, for example, a DVD player and an audio receiver. This is called “programming the remote.” If you don't want to control devices other than your FiOS TV STB, you do not need to program the remote.How do I get my volume to work on my TV? ›
Turning your TV off and back on again is one of the first things you should do if the volume isn't working or is stuck. Verify the audio settings. Make sure that the TV's audio input settings are on. Make sure the HDMI cable is connected.Why won't my Verizon remote turn off my TV? ›
Go to Menu > Settings > Voice Control > Fios TV Voice Remote > Program Voice Remote > Manual Setup > Press 'OK' to select. Choose your TV > Press OK. I've noticed this sometimes too. If i quickly tap the power button it doesnt' seem to trigger the TV, if I give it a more distinctive press it generally works.Why won't my remote turn my TV on and off? ›
However, the most common reasons for a TV remote that is not working are battery issues, paring issues, or infrared sensor issues. Press the power button while pointing the remote control at your TV. Make sure the LED indicator on the TV blinks. If not, your remote does not have enough power remaining in the batteries.Why will my TV remote not turn my TV on or off? ›
Check whether you need a fresh pair of batteries. Perform a Power reset: Un-plug the TV power cord for 60 secs (or 2 minutes for Android TVs) and plug back in. Alternatively, for Android TVs perform a reset by holding down the power button on the remote control for 5 seconds. Perform a TV software update.Why is my Verizon remote not pairing? ›
If your Fios TV One doesn't automatically recognize or respond to your Fios TV Voice Remote, follow the on-screen prompts and simply press and hold the play/pause and the '0' buttons at the same time on the Fios TV Voice Remote until the LED flashes blue.What is the STB button on remote? ›
Applicable Products and Categories of This Article. You can program the TV remote to enjoy the functionality of controlling your TV and Set Top Box(STB) simultaneously. To setup. Press and hold the STB button, then press the corresponding code while still holding the STB button.Will any remote work with my TV? ›
As long as your smart TV has an Infrared sensor (or whatever connection type your remote uses, like Bluetooth or Wi-Fi), your universal remote should work with it. But some universal remotes will control only your TV's power, volume, and channel up/down buttons.
Check the TV Itself
Some manufacturers include a sticker or label on the back of the TV or in the original remote's battery compartment containing the 4-digit code. It's worth checking if you need help finding the code elsewhere.
- press the Menu button on the remote (blue button white text)
- scroll down to "Settings"
- press the right arrow to enter the Settings submenu.
- scroll down to "Audio"
- press the right arrow to enter the Audio submenu.
- it should default to highlighting "Set-Top Box Volume"
- press "OK"